Thursday, February 12, 2009

The First Day

Today was my first day as a researcher at the Pwaddletech, the main researching firm of the island. Well, I’m still not quite a full-fledged researcher yet, but it is my first day as Dr. Hoenikker’s apprentice at the place. Despite how important of a day it was, it started for the most part like any other day. I helped Mrs. Nelson prepare breakfast for the twins. It was a big day for them too, it was their first day going to school although I’m sure they’ll do fine since Ella and Emma were pretty sharp kids. Before Mr. Nelson, Ella and Emma met for breakfast I told Mrs. Nelson that I would be leaving early so as to make a good impression. I quickly lapped up a bowl of Frosty O’s since the hot breakfast being made for the Nelsons was not ready yet and hurried out of the door to my new job.
Upon arriving I waited in the reception room and asked if Dr. Hoenikker was in. I assume that the girl at the reception desk said something along the lines of, “He’ll be here soon” but to be honest, I didn’t really comprehend a word since I was basically enthralled by how pretty she was. Before I had a chance to compliment her, the front door was swung open followed by a multitude of quick steps as if someone was tap dancing. The receptionist cheerfully pointed out, “there’s the doctor now” and then said to the energetic newcomer, “This is your new apprentice Hoenikker, according to his files, his name is Cooper.”
“Oh,” he replied unenthusiastically.
Hoenniker then gestured me to follow him and we walked down a hallway, he quickly and mechanically spouted directions for me to follow and I caught the basic gist of it but was again guilty daydreaming about the cute receptionist. Hoenikker was tasked with creating a new kind of ice that had a higher melting point so that it could last longer and be brought abroad more easily and I was tasked with doing everything he told me to, which usually boiled down to menial, simple tasks. The day seemed to drag on forever with boredom but, thankfully it eventually came to a close.
I went back to the Nelsons’ and had dinner there. Ella and Emma had a great first day at school. Mr. Nelson was quiet as usual. However, I told Mrs. Nelson all about my day until it was time to go to the daily meeting.
While at the meeting, I got separated from the Nelsons but ended up sitting next to none other than the receptionist whom I had met that day. At first turning my head I saw her but immediately turned away in disbelief, and maybe a little bit of shyness. The meeting today was about a newcomer and his resume was passed out to everyone and it was determined that he would be allowed to come by an overwhelming majority for he had a multitude of degrees and because we were 15 or 20 under the aimed population cap at the time.
After the meeting, as we were walking out, I managed to eek out to the receptionist, “Hi my name is Ed Cooper, what’s yours, would you like to go out some time?” the 50 times I said it to myself during the meeting seemed much cooler than what had actually come, but that’s nervousness for you. Thankfully, she giggled and replied “How about now? My name's Isabella by the way, but you can call me Izzy”
For the next hour or so, we reminisced about life, Hoenniker, school and everything else we could think of out in the twilight as little snowflakes fluttered down from the sky.Eventually, she said that she had to head home because it was getting late and she promised to help her little brother with his homework. And so we parted. Once I got home, I ended up lying in my bed for awhile thinking about today until my eyelids finally dropped closed.

1 comment: